Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday in SH

I decided to spoil myself today. Afterall, my excuse is that I have been working hard and trying my best to adapt to here... I woke up late, had a huge lunch at my fav taiwanese place at the big mall district; then looked around for a hair salon. I normally spend 18CAD back in Toronto so I figured that this 68RMB place 10cad was reasonable , there were three girls that greeted me. One of the better looking ones (thank goodness!) took be to this waiting area and started to massage my back and my fingers! The guy/girl next chairs (also here for a hairdo) along with my hair attendant saw me smiling awkwardly causing them to look funny as well. I explained to them that we don't have this sort of massaging service back in Toronto. After 40mins trying to hold my composure, I was finally led to have my hair cut and hairwash, maybe for 10mins max. It was a funny experience. Afterwards, I bought a pair of rollerblades here (Yey!).... they look pretty good, and I'm happy to have found them - damn, I think I am spending too much $$$ in SH terms. Anyways, afterwards; I visited my colleague (he was the most senior ob my team), and the place he lived in was pretty small, comparable to the size of my university dorm but in pretty bad conditions. I felt lucky and bad at the same moment, but it's interesting as I am one step closer in knowing how the locals live. Another thing I want to bring up is the impoliteness of people here. The consumers are always yelling and showing disrespect to the normal locals which I think is very impolite and this also starts a chain reaction as well. Can't they show some respect to themselves by behaving like normal person? Geez. Again, I have to compare this to Japan - everyone is polite to each other regardless if they are super rich or poor which I think should be a the way a healthy community should operate.

6 comments:

akaie said...

It's a great deal to have both the haircut and massage service at such a low price. I wish I'm there too!

bobopang said...

so you would be getting a haircut every week..then i suppose...

bobopang said...

so you would be getting a haircut every week..then i suppose...

Keith said...

If you got a massage with your haircut, imagine what you could get if you went to a more expensive place!




(I'm talking about things like a sauna or facial)

AJEYA RAO said...

Cool should have been a interesting weekend. Well asking agian - Do u speak chinese?

Edmlee said...

Miki san; Yeah, i'm getting more used to the place a little bit at a time...

Ha ha ha... if only my hair can grown longer... lol. It would be scary going to a more expensive place as i dunno what to expect! lol

Oooooo... I see you have found the anon website useful Eva :p

Re: Ajeya, nah; my mandarin is pretty lousy. I can speak cantonese but it's a different dialect than what they speak in SH. I guess it does help if I'm immersed into the surroundings like now, so my mandarin can improve quicker than taking a course (I guess :p).